GILDERS™ paste wax is a coloured wax medium. Simply rub on with cloth or sponge and buff to a shine! Colours may be layered and mixed for a variety of effects! It dries to the touch in 60 minutes. Allow 12 hours to cure before burnishing or polishing. It can be changed to different consistencies simply by adding a few drops of paint thinner or turpentine. When thinned out using this method, GILDERS™ paste wax makes an excellent medium to paint filigree, stampings, wood, beads, and other clay or metal materials.
Using GILDERS™ paste wax for matching the finish on moldings, miter joints, nail holes or minor indentations is as easy as selecting a matching color and applying to the area with your finger. Dries to the touch in 30 - 60 minutes and after 12 hours will not shrink, stain, chip or peel and is ready to polish for a gilded appearance if desired.
We recommend slightly abrading pre-finished woodwork with fine sandpaper or steel wool to promote good mechanical tooth and better overall appearance of the restoration.
30 ml tin covers 30 square feet! It is affordable for furniture, floors, counters and other large projects.
Wax can be used interior and exterior applications.
Metal – Wrought Iron, Steel, Aluminum, Alloys
Wood – Moldings, Railings, Furniture, Gilding Restoration, Picture Frames
Ceramics – Planters, Terra Cotta
Resin – Castings, Plastic
Wax – Candles
Tips for Using GILDERS™ paste wax
- Substrate surface should be dry and clean, free of dirt, oil, grease and scale.
- GILDERS™ paste wax can be directly applied with your finger, sponge, paint - tooth - stencil brushes, cloth, rubber stamps etc.
- All 28 colors can be thinned out to further extend, wash, stain or paint your project.
- Blending GILDERS™ paste wax is as easy as mixing two or more colors to match and touch up existing color schemes or to create a custom color.
- Drying time varies depending on materials, thickness of application and substrate, approximately 30 - 60 minutes to the touch on dry, low porosity, debris free surfaces.
- Lightly buffing metallic colors, after 12 hours of drying, will produce a gilded finish.
- Will accept an over coat, such as, clear lacquer, varnish, urethane, powder coating to achieve that uniform appearance where the GILDERS™ paste wax was not used or to provide further durability to areas where repeated handling is required, such as a door knob.
- For very smooth surfaces, such as, gloss paint, plastic, ceramics and furniture, it is recommended to lightly abrade the surface with 0000 grade steel wool or fine sand paper or apply a recommended primer.
- Layering substrates with a solid base color and then stenciling, sponging or wiping another color over base coat can produce unique affects and blends.
- Rubbing base coat immediately after application with a dry or slightly wet cloth with thinner will remove GILDERS™ paste wax from the relief detail and highlight depressed details. Lightly brushing Gilder's Paste over the top will highlight the relief details.
- Store above 55 F. Apply above 60 F.
- If you left the top off and material becomes dry, add a little paint thinner or mineral spirits, mix, and you are ready to go. This exercise will provide a long shelf life.